Monday, March 5, 2012

Wow'zers I am feeling the fire !!

Man do I feel alive !!!!

I have not been updating due to the fact that I had an inflammation under my right big toe and I was not running. Not that I was only feeling the pain from that I was also not feeling the 'bug' of running/exercise or anything. Pretty much down and out. Obviously, my body needed a break. So -- something went haywire and I had to get things checked out.

I went into a foot doc and I was told and confirmed I had : Sesamoiditis ( http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00164 ). Here is a brief picture of what it looks like on an X-ray:

What happened, or what the foot doctor believes, is that I have irritated the bone area and that is why everything is inflamed. Now, how did that occur, from wearing a half orthotic and also not replenishing the shoes. I normally do this every 300 miles and I failed to do. So, with those two things and then with ramping up long runs, I am in this position.

When I went in I figured the worst of the worst, not surgery, but to be out for at least 3 weeks. Yet, I was given 3 options: Cori zone shot, rest 3 weeks, or a carbon plate in my shoe and an inflammatory. I chose the later. And I am super happy that I did -- I am already out an running.

He informed me that I needed to run in moderation and also mildly. I asked for details and also specifics. HA !! I do not do things in moderation well at all!!!!

Tonight I went out with someone that asked if I would run with her and she is just starting to run...so that was perfect for me to get back out there.

I might have thrown off my full training but that's OK. I will finish the race, probably not near where I would like too, but I will.

I have also signed up for most of the races from now until July. I still have a few more to sign up for, but I am still on track with winning the group lottery for Grama's half in June!!! http://grandmasmarathon.com/site/index.php?page=garry-bjorklund-half-marathon

Also signed up for Chicago's Rock N Roll in July with another friend.

I am loving the friends I have gained through running, think I FINALLY found life long ones!!! TYG....

Onward and Upwards!!!!


2 comments:

  1. Great to hear that you are already back out running! Best of luck with your full recovery and upcoming races.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you -- its all shorter miles and less of them, yet, slowly is the part of the game they tell me at this point -- until the inflammation is down. Apprecite the support!!! :O)

    ReplyDelete