Saturday, May 12, 2012

My First FULL Marathon

I did it :O)

( AND you could too !! )

Not only did I do it -- I also finished it even though there were major cramps. I was NOT going to come up short on this one!! And in order to do that, I had to work through oodles of cramps, many pains and use all the motivation I could grab at times.

Here's how it went down:

Took it pretty easy for the first 10K, ran with the 4:00 pacer group for a while and then took off -- this is what I believe added to the cramping.

I was feeling soo awesome around mile 12 - 13 that I didn't realize how hard the cramps would hit. Mile 14 I had to walk some, yet, since I did OK in the first half, the last half wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

There was an awesome biker that  continued to help me through with water. I ended up running alot of what I thought I would have to walk and I am pretty sure that I looked completely silly and also sounded pretty funny. For around mile 22, I was sharing all my thoughts with the outside world. For I knew I needed to run it in and I also knew that the cramps would become stronger at times, yet, if I kept on running through them, I would make it close to my goal time.

I ran through all of that I could and felt strong at times.

I did not seem to hit a 'wall' yet, it could have been that I was soo focused on finishing and walking/working through the cramps that I didn't notice it.

There was oodles of tears -- from pain an in the end from the JOY that I was about to finish a full marathon. This is nothing that I EVER figured that I would ever imagined I would want to achieve or accomplish.

Then when I got home an looked at the actual time, I was all in tears again. Tears of joy, for I never ever imagined coming in under 4:20!!!!

What an experience!!! One I do hope that I will never ever forget !!

* Oh BTW: NEVER EVER Try to get a massage AFTER cramping on a full marathon course -- YEOW'zers...I sat on the table and I screamed from pain!! Holy Hannah it hurt !!!! And I ended up walking alot !!










I was also able to experience this with a fellow Team RED Member, Adam Walters!! This was also his first marathon!! Team RED was all over the place on this one -- and that I thoroughly enjoyed!!! What a GREAT Team to be a part of !!


Now to bed I go and I am pretty sure that I will be super sore tomorrow. Today I was able to get up off the toilet AND Walk down the stairs, tomorrow, let's see ... H A. I am thinking a night in bed, my legs are going to be feeling it tomorrow.

I shall share more later this week.

For now - DREAM YOUR DREAMS!! Follow through, do the work and BE AMAZED!!!!

Thank you to Paul Melby - for inspiring me and for always allowing the fun times and oodles of laughs!! This race was dedicated to you to my friend. Godspeed in the heavens to you !!!




No comments:

Post a Comment